Page Navigation Links
District Overview & Description
Central Valley School District serves nearly 12,400 students each year through its 22 schools, including 12 elementary schools, five middle schools, three high schools, one nontraditional elementary/middle school, and one home-link partnership. Serving an 80- square-mile area in the Spokane Valley, Central Valley School District is a largely Caucasian school district, with the following demographic composition:
- 1.31 percent of Central Valley students are American Indian or Alaskan Native
- 2.02 percent are Asian or Pacific Islander
- 1.16 percent are African American
- 3.25 percent are Hispanic
- 38.41 percent are eligible for free or reduced-price lunch
|Number of principals in pilot:||22|
|Number of assistant principals in pilot:||14|
|Number of classroom teachers in pilot:||54|
|Number of district administrators evaluating participating principals:||2|
Central Valley Team Interviews
Introduction and Context
Vision: To create an evaluation instrument for teachers and principals that serves as a reflection tool and professional growth document.
Premises: Central Valley School District’s Teacher Evaluation System is built around the premise that evaluation systems for teachers should:
- Serve as professional growth instrument.
- Be ongoing and systematic, resulting in continuous growth and improvement.
- Utilize analytic rubrics with performance indicators and a rating scale.
- Utilize multiple data sources as evidence to assess educator performance.
- Provide the basis for educator performance goals and professional development
- Serve as a measurement of performance for individual teachers;
- Serve as a guide for teachers as they reflect upon and improve their effectiveness;
- Serve as the basis for instructional improvement;
- Guide professional development programs for teachers; and
- Enhance the implementation of the improved curriculum, instruction and assessment.
- Growth Oriented
Information to Know Before Reviewing Our Model
- Growth model that builds on each level
- Continuum of performance
- All descriptors must be demonstrated in a categorical level before a person is designated to be in that level
- Example: Talking Points – Slide 17
Details about our current status with both the teacher and principal evaluation models and work still intended to complete before September.
- We had 54 teachers and 38 administrators participate in an 8 week spring pilot
- In the 2011-2012 school year we will have a yearlong field test with 120 teachers
and 38 administrators
- McREL is collecting data on instruments through surveys, focus groups and pilot
- Feedback will be used to make changes to field test instrument
If you have questions about the Central Valley model, please contact:
Assistant Superintendent for Learning and Teaching
View the vision page and pilot models.
(Back to top)